Healthy Man 40+ Blood Test
An insight into your health status - embark on your journey to optimal health and positive ageing
Healthy Man 40+ Blood Test - Without nurse option
Why getting a blood test when you're over 40 is important
Once you pass 40, your body begins to change and hormone production declines.
Your ability to make or absorb certain important nutrients wanes. Your health may suffer and aging accelerate - IF you don’t act proactively.
What many men fail to realise is, they have a choice about how they age. The passage of years doesn’t inevitably consign you to illness and infirmity! The truth is, you can take positive, pro-ageing steps to halt the degenerative effects so commonly associated with ageing:
- loss of strength and vitality
- weight gain
- diminished sexual functioning
- even chronic disease.
Doing the Healthy Man 40+ blood test is the first of those steps.
Positive ageing begins with knowing what’s going on in your body.
Healthy Man 40+ is an extensive panel of blood tests designed to assess the status of your sex and thyroid hormones, your body’s ability to control blood glucose and your levels of critical nutrients essential to promote health and protect you against age-related chronic disease.
Importantly, it will make you aware of deficiencies that need to be addressed in your quest to obtain and maintain optimal health as you age.
By determining hormone levels, the Healthy Man 40+ blood test will tell your doctor whether your hormones are properly balanced or need rebalancing with bioidentical hormone restorative therapy (BHRT).
Knowledge is power, and the Healthy Man 40+ blood test gives you the power to embark successfully on your journey to positive ageing!
What the Healthy Man 40+ blood test measures:
- Total testosterone: This is the dominant male sex hormone, secreted by the adrenal glands and the testes. As men reach their 40s and 50s, their testosterone levels begin a steep decline. As a result, they may begin to experience problems with sexual function―diminished interest in sex, difficulty achieving or sustaining erections, trouble achieving orgasms or less intense orgasms. Many doctors simply dismiss these symptoms as a normal part of ageing, but they can often be successfully treated with BHRT. Healthy testosterone levels are also important to elevate mood, sharpen cognition, provide energy and vitality, and prevent loss of muscle mass and bone density.
- Oestrogen (oestrone and oestradiol): Men convert the adrenal hormone DHEA into oestrone and, with help from an enzyme called aromatase, transform testosterone into oestradiol. Correctly balanced oestrogen is heart- and brain-protective, but in mid-life, the proper testosterone/oestrogen ratio begins to reverse. As oestrogen becomes too high relative to testosterone, bone density and muscle mass diminish while accumulation of belly fat and risk of heart disease increase.
- DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) sulfate: Produced naturally by the adrenal glands, DHEA is converted by the body into oestrone and testosterone. It’s important for improved sexual function, energy, mood and memory, muscle mass, bone density, athletic performance and immune function.
- Progesterone: Like testosterone, progesterone is produced in the adrenals and testes, and both hormones fall in tandem beginning in the 40s. Since progesterone is a precursor to testosterone, less progesterone contributes to testosterone’s decline and the relative rise of oestrogen. Adequate progesterone is important for improved energy, mood, sleep, immunity, bones and muscle, skin and hair, and cancer protection.
The Healthy Man 40+ blood test also includes the PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test for prostate cancer. Although the cause of prostate cancer is uncertain, age is the single greatest risk factor. Although 1 in 39 men will die from this disease, it rarely strikes men under 50. The sooner the diagnosis, the better the outlook. Most men diagnosed early with this disease can expect many years of life ahead of them.
In the UK, an estimated 1 in 20 people experience thyroid problems during their lifetime. A malfunctioning thyroid can slow metabolism and cause weight gain, high blood pressure, increased heart attack risk, brain fog, depression, hair loss and many other symptoms. Healthy Man 40+ provides a full thyroid hormone panel:
- TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone)
- FT4 & 3 (free triiodothyronine & thyroxine)
- TT4 (total thyroxine)
- Reverse T3 (high level may indicate inhibition of conversion of T4 to T3)
Additionally, this thyroid panel includes two important tests that most doctors omit ― both markers for the presence of autoimmune thyroid disease:
- Thyroid peroxidase antibodies
- Thyroglobulin antibodies
Both high and low thyroid levels affect your blood glucose levels and thus may increase your risk for diabetes.
The Healthy Man 40+ blood test assesses your diabetes risk (or diabetes status, if previously diagnosed) by measuring your levels of:
- Insulin, the hormone that transports glucose (sugar) from carbohydrates in the food you eat through your bloodstream to cells, where it is broken down (metabolised) to provide energy. Diabetes risk is highest for those with insulin resistance ― that is, a rise in glucose in the blood because cells can’t take it in for processing.
- HbA1c, also called A1c, is glycated haemoglobin, which develops when haemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that transports oxygen to all parts of your body, combines with glucose in your blood. This measurement shows the average blood glucose concentration over the previous 8 – 12 weeks. It is used to diagnose diabetes or determine your status.
- Magnesium, which is a cofactor in more than 300 enzymatic reactions, is essential to functioning of every cell in your body. Magnesium deficiency, which is at near-epidemic levels, is associated with diabetes, prediabetes, hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, as well as depression and cancer.
- C-reactive protein in the blood measures inflammation in the body and helps to diagnose acute and chronic conditions that cause inflammation, including diabetes, thyroid disease and heart disease. Inflammation is a characteristic of almost every chronic disease.
The Healthy Man 40+ blood test also measures folate, ferritin, vitamin B12 and vitamin D - four nutrients commonly deficient in those with thyroid problems and type 2 diabetes.
In short, Healthy Man 40+ is your first step on the path to robust health and vitality as you age. It will give you information that helps you:
- Head off age-related diseases before they happen
- Identify and treat the root causes of existing health problems that accelerate ageing and monitor the effectiveness of treatment
What happens next?
- Your professional vacutainer kit will arrive by post. This includes instructions and a return envelope
- You have chosen the NO NURSE option, this means you will have to self-arrange a professional or your doctor/nurse to make the draw
- We advise having your blood drawn between Monday and Wednesday, the latest day the lab can receive samples is Thursday
- Once your blood has been taken, make sure all of your personal information is correct, place vials in the envelope as instructed
- The envelope/sample must be returned to the lab on the day of the draw, we advise you to take the envelope to the post office and return by guaranteed next day delivery to ensure arrival at the lab next day
- Results will be sent to you by email
Customers Also Bought
Promotes peaceful sleep & optimal heart health
ProBoost Thymic Protein A
Supports optimal immune system function
SAM-e (S-Adenosyl-L-methionine) 400mg
Supports, maintains and improves joint health
Zinc Gluconate 25mg
Enhances immune system and reproduction function
Saw Palmetto 160mg
Supports prostate health and sexual function
Vitamin B Complex (CoEnzyme B50 )
Full spectrum of B vitamins to promote optimal health and overall wellbeing
Unique E High Gamma Formula
Pure & natural - supports optimal skin, heart and brain health
Up to 8 times more effective than regular CoQ10 formulations
Valerian Root Extract 250mg
Improves quality of sleep, promotes positive mood and calmness
Probiotic Advanced Complex
Supports gastrointestinal health & enhances immune system function